Both cats and dogs may have seasonal shedding. It doesn’t matter what is your pet’s breed still is sheds from time to time and this is when you find its hear all over the house.
Quite often pets who live in the house provided with comfortable conditions don’t have strictly seasonal shedding and they renew their hair almost all the year round. Of course you may use some materials on hand and waste time gathering and removing your pets hear from carpets, sofas, armchairs and clothes.
However, you may do something more reasonable and buy a special vacuum cleaner with the function that provides efficient pet hair collection. Therefore, our review is what will help you to choose the best vacuum for pet hair.
What types of vacuums for pet hair are presented on the market?
If the name of a vacuum model contains words like «animal», «pet», «cat&dog» it means that it is designed for pet owners and it can collect pet hair quite efficiently. However, quite often these are essentially different types of devices. So, first let’s define what type of vacuum cleaner you need.
This simple engineering solution to equip vacuums with a plastic container to collect dust created an unprecedented furor within this market segment. Gradually such vacuum models pushed out vacuum cleaners with textile dust bins from the market.
This happened for several reasons.
Firstly, the fact that plastic is much more durable than textile or paper played its part.
Secondly, it has become obvious to all that a plastic ‘cup’ is easier to clean, what you can hardly say about replaceable textile bags. Besides, canister vacuums filtering performance (due to cyclone filter they use) is much higher.
Of course, the improved version still has some drawbacks. The main one is that it works noisier. However, this is completely offset by the device efficiency and easy servicing.
Canister vacuum without a textile dust bag has a special section with container in which the incoming air for cleaning gyrates.
Centrifugal force of vortex-type air flow works like the one in a separator – dust particles are moved to the container walls where they settle and the clean air flow goes to the canister outlet.
This container requires regular cleaning, but it is much easier and more comfortable to do, than to shake the dust out of a reusable dust bag. Another advantage is that you don’t have to buy any supplies (as it happens for vacuum cleaner models using disposable fabric dust collectors).
Due to centrifugal force dust and rubbish removed from the air become more compact and compressed, that’s why when cleaning there is almost no dust flying around.
The main difference of canister vacuum from other models is its power and continuous suction regardless of how filled the container is.
The best canister vacuums are more expensive, but only these ones have the highest suction power that allows to remove even short and coarse hair that gets deep into carpets or other fabric.
In our rating you won’t find any vacuum cleaners using fabric dust collectors, here we have only canister vacuums.
Upright vacuums are small sized and mobile. You can keep them close at hand for fast local cleaning – to remove scattered grains on the kitchen floor, or small slices of paper that you baby cut and threw on the floor or some soil spilled by your cat from a flower pot etc.
Such a vacuum has a simple design – it has one coarse tube on which both the engine, canister and dust collector are mounted. Due to such arrangement the vacuum takes less space while storing and it is a bit easier in use.
It is significantly easier to move with it, since you don’t have to carry the vacuum cleaner case with all its main components inside.
And finally there are models 2 in 1 (portable) using which you can not only clean your house, but also a car, for example.
Of course, each construction has its drawbacks. Upright vacuums are less powerful and a bit more noisy.
So, when should you opt for an upright vacuum? This model will do for families with cats or small dogs, when you need to clean quickly some small area without wasting time on wire uncoiling and preparation of the dust collector.
Among all the advantages we can name the following: light weight, small size, noiseless. Handheld vacuum for household use weighs about 2 kg on the average, which is almost the same as blender or mixer weighs; that’s why it is easy to use in the household.
The main demerit of handheld vacuums is that they are unable to keep the charge for a long time. The energy level gets spent in ten minutes on the average and at that its battery will charge for much longer time – 6-8 hours and sometimes even for a day.
In our rating we’ve considered this issue and selected handheld vacuums with power-line supply.
Who will benefit from having a handheld vacuum? It is not aimed to perform complete house cleaning. Its main task is to clean some local areas in a car, places hard to reach with an ordinary vacuum cleaner or where a pet likes to sleep.
Robotic vacuum cleaners
The main advantage of robot vacuums is that they perform almost continuous cleaning of the floor in your house. As for the demerits – it can’t remove pet hair from furniture and clothes.
By the way, all robotic vacuum cleaners are equipped with turbo heads as the main means of cleaning.
Another issue is, that suction power of these devices quite often is not enough to clean carpets thoroughly, but they will do perfectly well to keep a house, where pets live, clean every day.
If you pet is shedding severely, it is better to choose models with a large dust bin (for robotic vacuum cleaner its capacity varies from 700 gr to 1 liter). To make sure that the device won’t upend bowls with pet’s water and food, a vacuum should have a ‘virtual wall’ function, that allows to create a virtual border around the area where it shouldn’t get.
This type of vacuums is very useful for pet owners. Why? Most of pet hair falls on the floor and then it flies in the air and sticks to clothes. Regular cleaning will help you to deal with this issue, but do we really have time for this? Wow, but robot vacuum will do this for you, while you are sleeping or at work.
Everyone who has a cat or a dog and bought a robot vacuum have never regretted about this. The device itself requires minimal servicing, but the amount of pet hair you get from it when cleaning the dust bin is unbelievable.
The Best Robot Vacuums for Pet Hair
To collect pet hair theoretically you may use any robotic vacuum cleaner, but vacuum filters get clogged with pet hair very fast and the dust biт gets full quickly as well.
This is the reason why a robot vacuum finishes cleaning earlier, than it cleans the house well. The device will stop and wait till you clean its filter and dust bin. Therefore, the vacuum will continue cleaning only after human assistance and this will cause additional inconvenience.
That’s why robotic vacuum cleaner manufacturers design some models of the devices with larger dust bins and sometimes they have additional filters for pet hair, which allows the vacuum to clean faster and collect the hair more thoroughly.
iRobot Roomba 960
Let’s start from the top-rated robot vacuum, well almost top-rated. iRobot company is a leader of robot vacuum production and the best robot vacuum made by the company is iRobot Roomba 980.
iRobot Roomba 960 is actually a cheaper version of its top model Roomba 980. The vacuum of 960 model has AeroForce dust bin inherited from model 800 and it has less powerful fan than Roomba 980.
Also model 960 has a battery with capacity 1.5 times lower (this influences how large is the area the device can clean) and only one virtual wall comes in the device set. However, tests didn’t reveal any sufficient differences in the cleaning quality for both Roomba 960 and Roomba 980 at high power mode.
Tough, this is for a customer to decide if it is possible to accept the above mentioned inequalities and save money due to the price difference between Roomba 960 and Roomba 980.
- Capacity volume :0.82 liter; Power Lifting Suction delivers 5X the air power for improved pick up performance; (Compared to...
- Intelligently maps and cleans an entire level of your home; Patented iAdapt 2.0 technology with vSLAM navigation actively...
- Ideal for homes with pets; Premium 3 stage Cleaning System cleans the dirt and pet hair you see and the allergens and dust...
- Unique Dual Multi Surface Rubber Brushes adjust and flex to stay in constant contact with carpets and hard floors
- High Efficiency Filter traps 99 percent of cat and dog allergens
- Automatically recharges as needed, and then continues cleaning: until the job is done
- Customize and control how you clean with the iRobot HOME app, Alexa or the Google Assistant
iRobot Roomba 650
For those who’s not ready to spend a lot of money on a robot vacuum we offer to consider getting iRobot Roomba 650. Though this model is a bit out of date (and the company has significantly reduced its price), still it outclasses the competition.
Robot vacuum iRobot Roomba 650 is equipped with an embedded scheduling system. The technology of highly efficient suction AeroVac™ allows Roomba 650 to remove easily various fibers such as hair, fur, fluff and pet down hair from the floor.
- Patented Dirt Detect sensors alert Roomba to work harder on concentrated areas of dirt, such as high traffic zones of your...
- Sleek, premium design complements your home décor; includes 1 Dual Mode Virtual Wall Barrier for more control over where...
- 3 Stage Cleaning System and Dual Multi Surface Brushes pick up everything from small particles to large debris
- Full suite of intelligent sensors guide the robot under and around furniture to help thoroughly clean your floors
- Clean and schedule from anywhere with the iRobot HOME App; compatible with Amazon Alexa and the Google Assistant.Mobile...
- Runs for up to 90 minutes before automatically docking and recharging
- Featuring these other Roomba robot essentials – Wi Fi Connectivity, Edge Sweeping Brush, Auto Adjust Cleaning Head, Works...
Xiaomi Mi Robot Vacuum Cleaner
This robot vacuum combines both the best price, quality, navigation system and cleaning quality. Yet the company has upgraded the device recently and now Roborock S50 is here to replace the previous model. It has larger dust bin, improved navigation system, higher suction power, but a higher price as well.
Robot vacuum by Xiaomi is distinguished from every other by its excellent navigation system. It detects obstacles which are quite far away by means of a special laser sensor.
Also the device has a powerful Li-ion battery, it is possible to vary the fan power and to control the device by means of the mobile application. The latter allows to see automatically defined route of the robot vacuum and change it if necessary.
- Map generation, path planning
- Brushless motor, the maximum air flow 0. 67m3 / min, 1800Pa maximum wind pressure, strong suction.
- Cover an area maximum 250 square meters; 96mm Slim design enables this Robot Vacuum to clean the narrow spaces of your home
- LG / Panasonic high energy density 18650 lithium-ion battery, capacity 5200mAh；At standard mode, the normal working time is...
- Intelligent path planning, memory layout, corner covering, WIFI & app control, timing routine, battery safety, full day...
The Best Upright Vacuums for Pet Hair
The vast majority of the models with words «animal», «pet», «pet hair» in their name or description — these are cyclone vacuum cleaners with plastic containers to collect the dust.
This popularity is quite explicable: commonly used fabric dust collectors easily get clogged with pet hair that is capable to get into its tiny pores. This, in its turn, decreases suction power while cyclone technology (especially multi cyclone one) is based on using centrifugal force to separate large dust particles from fine ones and smooth settling of all dust and dirt on the container bottom.
Shark Rotator Professional Lift-Away Upright Vacuum
Shark Rotator Professional Lift-Away (NV501) is considered to be one of the best vacuum cleaners for household use. Main features of this model are: dismountable dust bin, high suction power, HEPA filtration function, ergonomic handle and long cable that allows cleaning in the farthest places of the house. The device can remove dust, pet hair, hair and other small particles fast and easy.
- Dust cup capacity 1.3 quarts. Powerful upright vacuum with Lift Away pod for convenient cleaning of stairs and above floor...
- Anti Allergen Complete Seal Technology, HEPA
- Rotator Technology Enhanced Swivel Steering and better deep carpet cleaning
- Lightweight & Ultra Quiet Operation
- Premium Pet Tools and Ergo Cleaning Accessories
Dyson DC41 Animal Complete Upright Vacuum Cleaner
Let’s pay attention to a very interesting mini turbo head, that almost doesn’t wind stitching, hair, pet hair etc. on it and this means that the device will be in demand among owners of fluffy pets.
Cyclonic filter in Dyson vacuum cleaners is a unique one and it is highly efficient even when cleaning fine and light dust. The key feature here is using of large number of small cyclones that create rotation of the air flow which is necessary for dust separation.
In this case cyclones function is improved due to flexible vibrating nibs that throw off the adhered dust into the dust bin.
As a result DC41 maintains high suction power and its filters don’t require replacement or servicing. Overall efficiency of the vacuum cleaner increases at the account of thoughtfully designed nozzles.
- 5 year parts & labor warranty when purchased from an authorized reseller
- Radial Root Cyclone technology- airflows remodeled to maximize suction power
- The strongest suction at the cleaner head- cleaner head self-adjusts for optimal contact, even on hard floors
- Ball technology steers smoothly and turns on a dime
- Lightweight and durable- engineered materials are selected for their strength and durability- less weight and bulk
Shark Rocket TruePet
This vacuum cleaner was specially designed to collect pet hair from all types of surfaces. The light weight of the device (9 lbs) allows even a fragile woman to use it with one hand; the bin is twice the size of the regular Rocket, which ensures collecting even more pet hair at a time.
Besides this model is equipped with powerful LED lights that let you see the smallest rubbish. Another advantage is its more than reasonable price.
- No loss of suction
- Powerful 2-in-1 vacuum deep cleans your carpets and hardwood floors
- Perfect for quick pick-ups; Cord length: 30 feet
- Designed to clean everywhere with the included attachments.Rinse both with tap water until the water runs clean, then air-dry...
- Included attachments: Handheld Vacuum, Motorized Floor Nozzle, Wand, Duster Crevice Tool, Pet Multi-Tool
HOOVER T-Series WindTunnel Pet Rewind
Despite the fact that this vacuum is essentially heavier than the previous model (19 pounds), still it is very easy to use. All in all this model combines simplicity and multipurposeness plus it has high power.
The dust bin is removed with the click of a button and its volume is quite essential even for a large dog owner. But the main thing is that the vacuum has a special brush for carpets, that effectively collects pet hair.
- Under 19 pounds light and easy to use with thorough cleaning power
- 5 position carpet height adjustment adjust as needed to clean all flooring types easily and efficiently
- Folding Handle makes storage a snap, ideal for small storage spaces
- Cord Rewind with 25' cord no more winding gently tap the pedal to activate the 25 foot cord Rewind and retract the cord...
- Includes an Air Powered Pet Hand Tool to easily dispose of pet hair from floors, Pet Upholstery Tool to remove pet hair from...
The Best Handheld Vacuums for Pet Hair
Bissell Pet Hair Eraser Handheld Vacuum
This is the cheapest handheld vacuum that you can buy on Amazon.com, but at that it has a very high rating. As you can see from its name, its main purpose is to collect pet hair.
There is a special rubber nozzle in the device set that helps to lift the hair from the surface.
What do you expect from a handheld vacuum?
That it will be wireless, but in case of Bissell Pet Hair it is not like this. From one hand it is not convenient, but from the other hand it saves you from the main demerit of all handheld vacuums – short operation time due to using a battery.
- Surface Type: upholstery, auto, stairs, Power Rating: 4 amps
- Filtration: multi-layer filtration, The Bissell hand vac uses the Cyclonic Cleaning System
- 16-ft Power cord
- Painless grooming for your pet with unique rounded edge teeth
- Only tool you need to remove shedding undercoat, de-mat and brush your pet
- Use the 9 teeth side for stubborn mats and tangles, finish with the 17 teeth side for deshedding
It isn’t cheap but it’s a time proved model. This is one of the most powerful vacuum models on the market. It has three configurations to clean horizontal surfaces, seating furniture and cars.
The device easily gets under low sofas and into corners. Its turbo head deals with any carpets and cleans them from pet hair, hair and rubbish.
The design foresees using of a high quality filter that captures house dust mite, pollen, fine particles and other allergens. So your children will not breathe with dust while you are cleaning the house.
- Portable, lightweight handheld vacuum for home, car or garage; weighs less than 5 pounds
- Motorized brush with on/off switch for thorough cleaning of carpets, Integrated filter with easy to empty dust...
- 20-foot cord gives extended reach to clean an entire room, set of stairs or a vehicle in the driveway
- Features two motors, one for the brush and one for suction, to ensure a thorough clean
- 1 Year Manufacturer Warranty and Money-Back Guarantee
Shark Rocket Corded Hand Vac
It weighs less than 4 pounds, the Shark Rocket Hand Vac is ultra-lightweight and convenient for cleaning. It comes with the TruePet Motorized Brush for deep cleaning in the palm of your hand and an easy-to-empty dust cup. With a 15- foot-long power cord and Never Loses Suction technology, you can clean a whole room from start to finish without interruption.
- Portable and ultra-lightweight. Less than 4 pounds in total
- True Pet Motorized Brush for handheld deep cleaning
- Easy-to-empty dust cup. No bag needed and empties with the touch of a button.
- 15-foot-long power cord You never have to recharge, while giving you freedom to clean the whole room.
- Powerful cleaning from start to finish.Amperage (amps):3.4
Pets vacuum. What makes it different from a common vacuum cleaner?
It is quite logical to assume that pets vacuum should deal with pet hair better than the rest of them. Let’s find out what makes them better in this respect? The main thing is a turbo head.
Different manufacturers call it in different ways, but the idea is the same: the brush has a rotating roller in its center and it winds hair and pet hair on itself.
However, a turbo head itself doesn’t make a vacuum cleaner an efficient device to deal with pet hair, because several more parameters have to be maintained:
- high power (suction power as well)
- persistently high suction power even when a dust bin is almost full (that’s why the best choice is a multi-cyclone system or vacuums with fabric dust collectors with optimized aerodynamic flow to fill the collector uniformly)
- healthy (high class of НЕРА outlet filter – 13 or 14, at least ЕРА 12). If we are talking about a vacuum with a fabric dust collector it should have an additional filter with absorbent carbon on the air outlet – this helps to remove odor
- roller of the turbo head should be driven not by the air flow but by electric power (because when the air flow power decreases the roller stops rotating at all)
- roller of the turbo head should be easily dismountable and cleanable, otherwise it is extremely inconvenient. It is good if there is a special fixture right on the nozzle, but if not – you can use a coin to open it. If you need a screw driver to take the roller out – this is not the vacuum you need
A turbo head
The main fixture of a vacuum cleaner to collect pet hair is its turbo head. This is the name of the nozzle that has a rotating roller inside it. The roller lifts and winds on itself all the stuff that is hard to remove from carpets and furniture: pet hair, hair, stitching etc.
Turbo head efficiency hinges on the vacuum design and its operation principle. As for the design, each manufacturer tries to make it somehow special and unlike the others: special location of the bristle on the roller, bristle material, the nozzle shape – you may read about these in details in our reviews of each vacuum model.
As for the operation principle, there are two of them: the roller is driven either with an air flow (the mechanical way) or by electric power: there is a wire connected to a turbo head and it works using its own electrodrive. The latter is much more efficient.
By the way, some vacuum models (especially upright ones, which have just one large nozzle) are equipped with an electric turbo head and this the main one of robot vacuums.
As for ErgoRapido vacuum model by Eleсtrolux (these are wireless upright vacuums) the turbo head uses a special BRUSHROLLCLEAN technology to remove all the hair and dirt from the turbo head roller: you just have to push the button on the nozzle with your feet and the blades that move forward cut the hair and the vacuum will suck it in immediately.
Turbo head nozzles can be designed for floor cleaning (large and wide) and for seating furniture cleaning – mini turbo heads. For all of them it is important to have a forethought system of the roller cleaning: because after several cleanings (if there is a large dog in the house and it is shedding, it will happen after the first cleaning) you will have to remove pet hair from the roller somehow.
A high quality turbo head is designed so that you can easily dismount its roller and put it back. There should be a deep furrow on the roller. It is used to put the scissors in and cut the hair that winded round the roller.
To collect pet hair from furniture you can use not only mini turbo heads. Some manufacturers design original facilities: for example, there may be some kind of special ‘hook’ to lift up hair or stitching and then suck them in.
Bissel has designed a nuzzle with a silicon covering for its vacuums: its soft teeth effectively remove dust from the furniture and don’t damage the upholstery. Here the thing is, that the nozzle follows the furniture shape and removes hairs even from folds and it works in three dimensions simultaneously.
Type of a dust bin
You must pay attention not only to nozzles, brushes and filters of the vacuum cleaner, but to a place where all dust and dirt will settle. Here are the main types of dust collectors:
- A bag – you can use it several times if it is a facbric one. In case of a paper dust collector – you can use it only once. This dust collector is considered to be the most common and cheap. But it has demerits as well: this type of dust collector captures fine dust quite poorly and it goes outside through the fabric fibers. Cleaning such a bag all the time is also very doubtful pleasure. Things are a bit easier with a paper one – you can just throw it away. However, not always you have a chance to get some new ones of the proper size.
- Container. Such type of a dust collector is assumed to be reliable and convenient one. To keep it clean you just have to wash and dry the plastic cup. As for the drawbacks, we can mention that the noise level will be higher, since the container works as resonator when the vacuum is sucking dust. Vacuum models with this type of containers are more expensive, than those with usual bags.
- Aqua-filter. For families with small children and allergy-prone people this option is the best, since dust will be collected through a special aqua-filter. After such cleaning the air in the room will be always fresh and wet. The dust that gets wet with water is collected into a special volume. Then all you have to do is to empty the volume with remnants of water with hair, dust and other rubbish.
Paul Townsend is a founder and author of Meethepet.com. He’s been fond of aquarium husbandry since his early childhood.
His favorite aquariums are biotopes (Amazon River), Echinodorus and Angelfish. However, through the years he’s had experience of keeping almost all types of freshwater fish and shrimps.
Last update on 2019-12-05 at 23:32 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API